One of the best ways to replace missing teeth is dental implants. They generally look and feel better than other alternatives such as removable dentures and fixed bridges. In fact modern implants look and feel natural. Dental implants are root-like structures made of titanium, a material which the body easily accepts. They are surgically inserted into the jaw bone, and during the months that follow a strong and rigid bond gradually forms between the bone and implant. An interim denture is placed over the implant immediately after surgery and is worn for the duration of the healing time. Crowns or bridges are then joined to the stable implants via titanium abutments. Due to the extreme stability and careful colour matching of the crown, your new teeth will look and feel like real ones. Eating and chewing will be as natural and comfortable as with your original teeth. Continue reading or go back to Smilefocus Dental Clinic homepage
Implants offer many advantages over dentures.
Dental implant solution
- Virtually stops bone loss/ deterioration
- Maintains integrity of facial structure
- Improves facial appearance, restoring lost lip support and minimizing wrinkles
- Increases comfort
- Restores natural biting and chewing capacity
- Improves nutrition and health
- Increases stability - replacement teeth will not move around or fall out
- Dentures can cause gum irritation and can contribute to further decay,
leading to the eventual loss of more teeth.
- Compromise integrity of facial structures
- Accelerate visible aging due to unattractive changes in facial appearance
- Cause pain, sore spots, and denture breath
- Require relining as bone shrinks away
- Require adhesives
- Cause an inability to eat certain foods
The long term success rates of dental implants is over 90%. They area cost-effective and aesthetically elegant solution for those with missing teeth. Dr. Tatiana Luebke provides a simple definition of what an implantologist is.