Dr Thushala Ubaya qualified in dentistry with honours in 2000 in London as valedictorian. Following that she obtained her Membership in Orthodontics with the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh and a Masters of Science in Orthodontics at the University of Glasgow. She then undertook further consultant senior orthodontic training at King’s College Hospital in London to obtain her Fellowship in Orthodontics in 2011 and is currently a Fellow of Dental Surgery in Orthodontics at the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
Dr Ubaya has worked as an NHS Consultant Orthodontist at the Royal London Dental Hospital and a Clinical Lecturer at Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London. She was also the Lead NHS Consultant Orthodontist and Head of the Orthodontic department at Queen’s Hospital, Romford, Essex, for five years. In addition to her hospital roles, she worked part-time in private practice in London for six years.
Dr Ubaya is passionate about managing children and adults with dentofacial problems. Her areas of expertise include:
- Fixed braces – “nearly invisible” cosmetic white fixed braces or metal fixed braces
- Digital orthodontics – clear aligner treatments like Invisalign and ClearCorrect aligner systems
- Early intervention treatments for younger children – bite correction and expansion of arches in the growing child
- Managing teenagers and adults with complex jaw and teeth problems requiring orthodontics in conjunction with corrective jaw surgery
- Micro and macro smile aesthetics
Her passion is to deliver a positive body image experience with orthodontics, to help patients achieve a beautiful, healthy and straight smile that allows a patient to feel happy and confident.
Dr Ubaya is friendly, approachable and empathetic, especially with the younger children or the more nervous patients. She is happy to work through any questions or concerns you may have before tailoring the treatment uniquely to each individual’s needs.
Outside of work, Dr Ubaya very much enjoys trying delicious cuisines and exotic new restaurants, with lots of swimming to allow her body to keep up with her foodie adventures and travelling the world over to check out interesting cultures and exciting new cuisines of course!